Churches and temples in Novgorod

32 photo with description
Sofia Cathedral
Holy Sophia Temple - the oldest building in Novgorod, was built by the son of Yaroslav the Wise, Grand Prince Vladimir Yaroslavovich in 1045-1052.

Sofia Cathedral

In St. Sophia Cathedral
Murals in St. Sophia Cathedral.

Sophia Cathedral

Magdeburg Gate
The Magdeburg Gate is a battle trophy of the Novgorodians, pressed, probably in 1187 during a march on the Swedish capital Stugna.

Belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral
The belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral is a monument of architecture of the XV — XVIII. For the first time in the chronicles it is mentioned in 1437, when information is given there that during the flood the belfry fell into the Volkhov together with the fortress wall.

Lecture Hall of the Museum
The lecture hall of the Novgorod Kremlin Museum, once the Temple of the Entry of the Lord into Jerusalem in the mid-18th century. The fact that it was a religious building can be seen from the apse on the left.

Church of Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir and Vladimir Tower
The Church of Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir and the Vladimir Tower, Novgorod Kremlin.

A wooden single-domed church was built at this place to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of the death of Prince Vladimir.

Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin
The Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos adjoins the Pokrovskaya Tower, the first chronicle mention refers to the church in 1305, and since that time it was rebuilt several times.

The church belongs to the type of "octagon on a quadrangle" and is one of the few churches of this type, preserved in Novgorod.

Andrei Stratelates Church
Church of Andrei Stratelates (XIV — XVII centuries)

Sofia Cathedral and the belfry
St. Sophia Cathedral and the belfry.

The bells of the belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral
The bells of the belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral

Churches at Yaroslav's Court
Glory to the right - Church of the Great Martyr Procopius on the Marketplace, Church of the Wives-Myrrh-Bearers, Nikolsky Cathedral on the Yaroslav's Court

Church of the Myrrh-Bearers
The Church of Myrrh-Bearers on Torgu, built in 1508-1511.

Church of Philip the Apostle and Nicholas the Wonderworker
Church of Philip the Apostle and Nicholas the Wonderworker, built in 1527-1528, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Novgorod, Nikolskaya st., 34.

Bell tower of the Znamensky Cathedral
The bell tower of the Znamensky Cathedral (built in 1682–1688), a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Novgorod, Ilyin Street, 26.

Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior on Ilyin Street
The Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior on Ilyin Street was built in 1374 on the site of an older wooden one and is a classic example of 14th century Novgorod architecture. It is remarkable that there are the only frescoes of Theophanes the Greek in Russia.

Holy Gate Znamensky Monastery
Holy Gates with cells, Znamensky Monastery. Address: Novgorod, Ilyin Street, 26.

Courtyard of the Znamensky Monastery
Yard Znamensky Monastery. Both on! It seems that similar benches were washed down the tourist cities! Slightly stupid presence of the coat of arms, but this option is quite straightforward. Here, for example, in Yaroslavl.

Monastery Gate
The gates of the monastery.

Holy Gate Znamensky Monastery

Znamensky Cathedral
The Znamensky Cathedral of the monastery of the same name, built in Moscow style in 1682–1688. Now a museum.

Church of Nikita the Martyr
The Church of Martyr Nikita, built in 1557 by order of Ivan the Terrible on the site of a wooden church of the XII century. Novgorod, Bolshaya Moskovskaya st., 48a.

Temple of Fedor Stratilat on the Creek
The Temple of Fyodor Stratilat on the Creek of 1360–1361 was built with fragmentary preserved frescoes of the same time. UNESCO World Heritage Site, address: Novgorod, ul. Fedorovsky Brook, 19a.

Bell Tower and the Temple of Fedor Stratilat on the Creek

Church window
The window of the church.

Monument to Alexander Nevsky
Monument to Alexander Nevsky.
Sculptor Y. Chernov, architect G. G. Isakovich. 1985

In the background is the Church of Boris and Gleb in Carpenters.

Church of Boris and Gleb in Carpenters
Church of Boris and Gleb in Plotniki

Church of St. John the Divine on Vitka
Temple of St. John the Divine on the Vitka.

he belfry and the Church of Dmitry of Solun
The belfry and the church of Dmitry Solunsky. The most striking thing is that just recently the metal roof of the belfry was replaced with a wooden one. Those. restored historical justice. Church of 1462, belfry - 1691.

Church of Nikita the Martyr
The Church of Nikita Martyr, built in 1557 by personal order of Ivan the Terrible in place of the wooden church of the XII century.

Catholic church of St. Peter and St. Paul photo - Veliky Novgorod
Catholic church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, Novgorod, St. Petersburg's Bolshaya St., 12.

The church building was built in 1891 - 1893.

It's very cool that in Novgorod there are so many churches preserved and all restored after the war, which passed through the city with a tank.

Share:

Themes: churches and cathedrals 13  photos 280  travel 182  Veliky Novgorod 4  


advertisement


← Blog



 

tserkvi_i_hrami_novgoroda
blog



©_© 2005–2019      Please put link, if you use materials of current site.